Saturday, February 18, 2006

Reference Failure

So this is the typical conversation I have with a person who finds out that my blog is called "Laughter And Forgetting":

"Oh, so you named it after the Milan Kundera book."
"No leh, I named it after the David Sylvian song. There are lyrics from the song on the blog."
"Oh, so which came first -- the Milan Kundera book or the David Sylvian song?"
"Uh, I think the book came first lor."
"So the David Sylvian song is named after the Milan Kundera book, and your blog is named after the book la!"
"Dunno leh, I never read the book..."

Recognising the potential for confusion in future encounters, I went to do research.
And my findings are as follows:

1. The David Sylvian song "Laughter And Forgetting", released in 1986, is "obliquely" based on the Milan Kundera book.
2. The Milan Kundera book "The Days of Laughter And Forgetting" was released in 1979.
3. The Kundera book is a collection of seven stories on er... laughter and forgetting. Especially forgetting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home