Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Spring cleaning

Each time I hear senior PAP politicians talk about the forum MM had with young journalists, despite the event being so long ago, a little shiver goes through me. Slowly but surely, people are repeating the line that young journalists are not representative of the general population, because they are "radical", "English-educated" etc. When I read it together with the oft-heard PAP dictum that the media should not be allowed to dictate the political agenda, these comments really worry me.

This is why I was telling a friend the other day that even though I hope the opposition will gain some ground on the PAP, I also want the PAP to win by a fairly comfortable margin, and maybe garner more than 65 per cent of valid votes. If the PAP suffers an embarassingly large vote slide, who knows what sort of "spring cleaning" will be in the offing?

"I know there's feedback that this is overkill, this is typical PAP, we hit too hard, sledgehammer. And one of the reasons why people feel like this is because young intelligentsia, young people, particularly the journalists, they would like the Opposition to win. They'd like to see more opposition. They root for the Opposition. So they are willing to measure the Opposition by lower standards, not quite straight, more or less okay. And that's why they want us to overlook, forgive this honest administrative mistake and not make an issue out of it." - PM Lee, at a lunchtime rally, May 3

On a much lighter (and more interesting) note, I offer my carefully-considered list of top election cuties for GE2006:

1. Perry Tong (WP) - By far the best thing to happen to Singapore politics!
2. Desmond Lim (SDA)
3. Wee Siew Kim (PAP)
4. Sitoh Yih Pin (PAP)
5. Mohd Isa (SDP)

3 Comments:

Blogger zyn said...

aw, come on - sitoh yih pin??? no way!!!!

speaking of which, while surfing potong pasir sites today i came across this page that refers very disturbingly to "chiam 'studmuffin' see tong". *shudder*

5:45 PM  
Blogger rookcub said...

I refer to Sitoh as Sitoh "Baby Bear" Yih Pin myself actually.

6:56 PM  
Blogger zyn said...

yeah, looks like a baby bear, has all the mental faculties of one too.

in crabby mood. argh.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home