Sunday, May 28, 2006

Are tone controls really that vital?

Ok, so in a moment of madness (not really la... quite considered, bought hi-fi magazine and all), I bought these gorgeous B&W CM1 speakers:



As usual, I had already made up my mind even before going to the shop, which was the swish Monsoon Entertainment Systems at Paragon (owned by mainboard-listed Enzer haha), so I didn't even last all of 45 minutes there. I popped in my requisite "three songs that represent what you normally listen to" ("Nocturn" by Kate Bush, "The Sodom & Gomorrah Show", Pet Shop Boys & "Lights of Te Touan" by Everything But The Girl) and was wowed. Ok, I was more wowed by the speakers' great looks (that yellow coloured kevlar cone will do it for me anytime), but Mr Music Teacher (who had stayed the night) was quite impressed too; so after some half-hearted bargaining, I gladly ponied up the $1,400 and left.

Now for the amplifier, which I think I will buy today (given the speakers arrive on Tuesday).

Will it be the tried-and-tested multi-award winning but slightly ugly NAD C352 (which has treble and bass controls) or the super sleek Audiolab 8000S (which has no awards, costs 2X as much AND has no tone controls because as the salesman put it: "High-end where got tone control one?"). I have to admit that Kate Bush sounded really great on the Audiolab even with lousy $500 Mission speakers, but I'm still worried about whether it will sound as great with my B&Ws (especially since no tone controls means cannot adjust the sound forever). Some more, everyone says that tone controls are only for hi-fi Philistines ("heathens" even, a friend sniffed). I cannot believe how much thought I have given to this in the last 24 hours -- spacing out in the gym, at home, watching TV etc while thinking about it.

On the plus side, I'm actually going to watch Da Vinci Code this afternoon with M., who I recently got to know courtesy of K. M. of course is the local celebrity that I thought was the sexiest guy in Singapore for the longest time (he's No. 2 now), so it's all kinda unreal. I'm wearing my nice underwear just in case :P

2 Comments:

Blogger zyn said...

wah mr music teacher, huh? is that the leather guy? thought you said not your type? ;P

7:25 PM  
Blogger rookcub said...

he got a bit fatter. actually he is not bad, but a bit young and has these weird hangups about being back in singapore and how its so hateful etc etc

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home