Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Revenge of the Underpowered Amp

So my speakers arrived yesterday and I excitedly hooked them up last night to my old NAD 302, which I bought during university days, to test them out. An amp is an amp right, even though it's a mite underpowered (25W per channel, versus my speakers' rating of 100W). Wrong. The minute I typed "underpowered amplifier" into Google, I got a string of strongly-worded warnings about underpowered amplifiers damaging and even blowing good speakers.

The explanation makes the machine sound like a mythical creature straight out of Dungeons and Dragons. Apparently, if the amp is rated low, then the best it can do is whatever volume doesn't produce any distortion (which is very soft indeed in my case). If you make it go beyond its power, the amplifier "clips" the sound (chops off the bass and treble) to keep up the volume (I'm still kinda following at this point). But then check this out, the reluctant amp then takes its revenge by (a) feeding the whole distorted mid-range signal to the tweeter (which dies because it's supposed to handle only high range signals) and (b) magically generating a DC current (??) which eventually kills the all-powerful speakers by burning them up from the inside. Wah, vicious!! Ok, me going down to buy the 80W NAD C352 today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home