Monday, July 31, 2006

Blown away by Ishiguro

I've always thought of Kazuo Ishiguro as an odd kind of writer. Japanese but kinda British -- dry and old-fashioned -- as a novelist. His new book "Never Let Me Go" was a strange read. In most parts, it read like a Enid Blyton children's book about the perils of boarding school. But it never let you underestimate it because you always sensed there was something sinister beneath its bedtime prose.

Today, stuck on a 5-hour flight to New York with no entertainment, I pushed through the last 40% of the book. And I was blown away, re-reading its 2-page ending over and over again with a jumble of questions and emotions I have not felt in a long time reading fiction.

And Ishiguro fans say this is one of his weaker novels...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked this novel too. His narrative control is excellent. I haven't read Remains of the Day, so I can't decide if this is inferior. But as an independent read, it's very well-written.

1:00 AM  
Blogger zyn said...

eh come back soon. seriously.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home