Monday, July 17, 2006

Tonight's Challenge

Another day another challenge, and tonight's was no less difficult. At the insistence of Mrs Oman (whom I really want to slap), 9 of us went for dinner at a Japanese place that goes karaoke at 9.30pm.

And so after a few drinks, Survivor WTO kinda turned into a raucous Eurovision Song Contest. Everyone was forced to sing, so the Omani rendition of "My Way" was soon followed by a disastrous Polish version of "Hotel California" and a (much better) attempt by (the very cute) Mr Philippines at Barry Manilow's "Mandy" (he's my roommate in Chicago and LA :) hehe).

I was of course faced with a split second choice of what to sing. Many factors to consider: It had to be a song that I could sing well in a restaurant full of people staring at these loud, strange foreigners in the corner. It had to be trendy (to distinguish myself clearly as one of the young ones); indicative of good taste in music (especially to a young Washington DC crowd); yet not too unknown so as to bore the people at my table. Thank God the moment I received the huge 200-page book, the pages fell open at the perfect song. And I knew I had made a good choice when after the first verse, the super glamorous and exceedingly popular Miss Nicaragua (think Fiona Apple) gushed "I LOVE this song!!" and rushed up to join me at the mic.

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
Green Day


Another turning point a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist directs you where to go
So make the best of this test and don't ask why
It's not a question but a lesson learned in time
It's something unpredictable but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

So take the photographs and still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
Tattoos and memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth it was worth all the while
It's something unpredictable but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life


This is stressful...
Next challenge: Trying to make the most out of the fact that Chicago is hosting the 7th Gay Games (and thousands of cute international gay athletes), yet somehow not letting on that I am gay :(

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am so glad you are having fun, hence no more accusations of it's-all-your-fault-i-have-to-go-on-this-trip....heh heh

zinne

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home