Thursday, July 20, 2006

My trip to Boystown

More than a week after the course started, I felt a desperate urge this evening to be with gay people once again. So I went to Boystown, one of two key gay areas in Chicago all by my lonesome self (I think neither Mr Poland nor Mr Peru is gay, by the way). It was interesting walking down the main street (Halsted Street) looking at all the bars, shops and restaurants. It is really a very gay street -- everyone walking on the street and eating in the shops is gay and the lampposts are actually painted in rainbow colours. After some exploring, I went into a bar called Sidetrack, which looked really happening. Good choice. Chicago guys are cute in general, and there were plenty of very good looking bears around. I later found out it was a special Bears Meet and Greet party for the Gay Games, but who's complaining?

Overall, I was very impressed with Chicago as a city. I never knew there would so many beautiful buildings and so many wonderful pieces of art scattered along the streets. It looks like a great place for shopping, yet it has really nice parks and outdoor areas. Even the university was interesting -- it was the place nuclear energy was invented and its home to the first ever house that Frank Lloyd Wright ever built. Definitely a city to come back to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home