Sunday, July 30, 2006

Until the sun comes down over Santa Monica Boulevard

So L.A. -- everytime I talk about the place, I disparage it. I say it's too spread out and I don't like the fact that you need a car to get anywhere. I say I don't like it because it's loud and trashy. I think the whole California Dreaming thing is overrated and too cheesy and fake for my liking...

But everytime I visit L.A., I leave thinking that even though it's not the most sophisticated place in the world, it really is quite liveable. The weather is nice and being able to drive to some 80 different cities within L.A. county, all with their own vibe, makes it not unlike sprawling mega-cities like Tokyo or New York. It's also really a lot of cosmopolitan than I think it is, the neighbourhoods are genuinely funky and full of character and people seem to be in a genuinely good mood -- all friendly, bright and shiny.

This visit to L.A. was also special for someone I met there online, a 285-pound bear called C., who turned out to be one of the sweetest and most endearing people I ever met. But that's a story for another day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home