Monday, October 02, 2006

The Beari Index

Inspired by the Beri Index of labour productivity, a conversation I had recently, and currently bored out of my mind at work, I shall proceed to give my ranking of bear-chub guys by country:

1. Japan
Close fight with their Taiwanese cousins who have harder bodies, but Nihon-jin win out because they are fairer, more childlike, more boyish-looking and have beautiful, hairy thick legs. Plus, Japan IS the birthplace of the Asian bear movement. I want to be Japanese!!

2. Taiwan
Greatest concentration of muscle bears and cubs in Asia by far. Most of them have gorgeous thick stocky bodies from working out at the gym and are often deliciously tanned or naturally dark. Very warm and welcoming. Unfortunately, most are too fey and the incongruous pairing of a girly voice and a masculine body is just a little too unsettling.

3. Hong Kong *new!*
I've always had the impression that "bears" in Hong Kong tend to be more stocky-muscular than fat-muscular, and this, people tell me, is still by and large true. But what I saw on my last trip changed my mind. Lots of cute Chinese chubs and cubs in the gyms and bars, and of course there was this one bear that single-handedly pulled the average up :) And the scene is a lot more visible and lively because they are as well-organised as the Taiwanese.

4. Singapore
A lot of people have told me that the cutest guys are in Singapore. I always disagree but as I start to look around me more, I'm starting to see why. There are really a lot of cute bears on the street, especially the young gamer cubs playing games in amusement centres and browsing endlessly in Funan Centre and Sim Lim Square. They just need to shave their hair, grow goatees and wear the right clothes. Like the Taiwanese, I suppose, National Service and the proliferation of gyms give us a good starting base. But higher standards of living have also increased the bear pool by gifting it with bigger, fatter kids with more bear potential. Plus, the presence of stout Malay guys and cute Indian cubs makes for the kind of added variety that you don't get in homogenous societies like Japan and Korea.

5. Korea
Quite hit and miss. When they are beautiful, they are as beautiful as the Japanese - only more masculine. When they are not, they really are not. Plus, I find them often quite gruff and unfriendly.

6. Malaysia
The absence of a gym culture, plus a national obesity problem, means you get bigger, softer chubs here. Occasional gems spotted having coffee in Jalan Bukit Bintang or KLCC.

7. Philippines
Short guys that are always energetic, sincere and friendly. Happy cubs!

8. Thailand
Leaving aside the muscle guys in Tawan bar, I've yet to be inspired by what I've seen in Bangkok. Maybe I just don't know the right people or haven't gone to the right places.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home