Friday, December 29, 2006

Before Bangkok

1. I'm off to Bangkok later tonight, having decided to follow my instincts about my new relationship with E. The cost of the decision was about $800 in total, plus forgoing what sounds like really fun parties in Taipei that everyone from Singapore seems to be flying up to attend. But I think it's the right decision. After E. sat me down on Christmas Eve to talk about the way that things were (not) developing between us, I realised that I was stuck in a no man's land where I didn't want to stop being single, yet (quite seriously) craved the security of being attached. This translated to me blowing hot and cold with E., and he was seriously thinking of pulling out now before he really got hurt. As I told F. in the car yesterday, I realised that if you don't ever commit properly to a relationship with someone, you will never really know whether it will work between the two of you, simply because you not really "all there".

2. Before the aforementioned flight to Bangkok, I'm interviewing S. for a job at the desk. S., of course, used to work for K. I remember very clearly K. asking me on the phone one day if he should hire this bright young guy from LSE for a planning analyst position at his unit. And I remember evem where I took the call from K. - going down the steps at the old Marina Square towards the Esplanade bay area.

"Is he cute?" I asked.
"Yeah la, in a way. Smart..." said K.
"Ok, hire lor."

Before talking to S., I'm gonna call K. to ask his opinion. Funny how things come around in a big circle.

3. I'm watching now a series of documentary films on Depeche Mode that come with the remastered versions of all their albums. And I'm afraid to say that in terms of DVD viewing, very little matches up to the sheer utility I get from this type of thing. To have listened to the albums over and over again for years, then to find out how each track was made, the disagreements they had and how the concepts for the videos came about... that's amazingly compelling to a total music nerd like me. I never knew what an outsider Alan Wilder was - that he was drafted to replace Vince Clarke but never acknowledged as a full member for a couple of years. That Songs of Faith and Devotion was such a difficult album to make that it killed the group (Dave Gahan was a heroin addict that never showed up, Andy Fletcher went to clinical depression, Alan left). That the Harmonium Mix of Enjoy The Silence was Martin Gore's original demo (he had conceived it as a church organ ballad and was quite unhappy when Alan and the producer Flood turned it into a dance tune). That the band members fought bitterly even over final mixes of songs like Condemnation (The Paris Mix of Condemnation, for instance, is really Alan's final mix of the song, and it's better than the mix on the album). I've also noticed that Martin persisted throughout the years on going bare-bodied on stage, even though he was really skinny... eew!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home